Wednesday, June 8, 2011

I have always imagined that Paradise will be a kind of library. Jorge Luis Borges


I grew up in the dusty aisles of the public library, amidst the hearts and souls of great authors. And, every once in a while, a book about Sarah Palin slips through. That's okay though. Hate the sin, not the sinner right? From the time I could print my name for a library card (four years old?), I had access to a vast archive of knowledge, history, and imagination. My favorite books as a child were about doctors, leukemia, the inner workings of the Titanic, Halloween, and, as I grew older, historical circumstances. Over the years my interests have changed, albeit only slightly. Even though the library has changed in staff and structure, it is still a place to which I pledge my allegiance.

Twice a year, the library hosts a book fair in one of its large rooms. The room contains tables that hold boxes and boxes of books, ranging from childrens' to oversize to fiction, etc. The fair is held for three days. On the first two days, each book costs one dollar. On the third day, a volunteer hands you a plastic shopping bag (or however many you would like). Get this; this is the best part. FILL YOUR OWN BAG WITH ANY BOOKS FOR A GRAND TOTAL OF TWO DOLLARS.

These are the titles of my "fresh kill."

The Great Influenza: The Story of the Deadliest Pandemic in History
Better Homes and Gardens Mexican Cook Book
The Long Island Holiday Cookbook
People of the Ice and Snow
The Gershwins: A Pictorial Biography
Treasure Beneath the Sea
A Weekend with Renoir
Yak Butter & Black Tea: A Journey into Tibet

I also picked up a copy of Frommer's Siciliy for my mom, because she is traveling there in the next year.


No comments: