Monday, November 21, 2011

Makeup Mondays: Daily Routine product reviews

1. Shampoo
I recently finished my year-long-length Costco bottle of Avalon Organics shampoo and since I have made it a goal to start finishing off products, this half full bottle of shampoo has been the replacement. This shampoo was purchased in attempt to get some gloss into my curls without having to use a serum. As you may know, it can be difficult for curls to have that I-model-for-shampoo-commercials-sheen. While this shampoo has given me shine, it makes the top my hair frizzy (where I concentrate the shampoo usage). I don't believe this so much an issue of this particular shampoo, as it is an issue of any sulfate shampoo that doesn't contain effective "smoothing" ingredients. When this bottle has run out, I will replace it with a no-sulfate shampoo which will not be as harsh on my hair. Keep in mind, sulfates are not the terrible things that some people make them out to be; they're handy for people who use a lot of products in their hair and need some deeper clarification. For people who are stuck somewhere in between, baby shampoo is a great alternative, as it usually contains less sulfates than regular shampoos.

2. Conditioner
I have taken a bit of a break from my Neutrogena Triple Moisture Deep Recovery Hair Mask. Hold on, I need to catch my breath...phew. Better. At some point this old bottle resurfaced in my shower and I figured I would use what is left of it. I WAS TAKEN ABACK by how much of a difference I saw in my curls after they had dried. I would never have thought that this would define and moisturize my curls better than the previously mentioned mask. My hair felt and looked amazing. For the past few years, I have only been applying conditioner on the ends and my hair has been better for it.

3. Face Wash
I combine a bit of Biore pore unclogging scrub with a bit of Clinique Liquid Facial Soap in Mild. The scrubbing bits are rounded and gentle on the skin (so far as the eye can see). The soap is running out and so my next review facial soap review will be of Cetaphil Gentle Skin Cleanser. I would buy the Clinique soap again, but at $16 a pop I figured I would try a safe alternative that is already in my medicine chest.
4. Moisturizer
Yes, I put oil on my face. No, I'm not certifiably insane. Vitamin E oil is non-comedogenic (doesn't clog pores). I recommend putting a drop (a little goes a long way) onto the tips of your fingers and pressing them together a few times. This will spread out the oil so that when you apply, the oil won't be loaded onto one area. This will happen particularly with this moisturizer because vitamin e oil is very thick and very sticky and because of this, spreading it on the face via rubbing will be difficult. The product looks and feels better if patted on. I haven't taken any special precaution to avoid my acne-prone areas, and it appears that my acne and acne scars have improved. Do not be afraid if your face looks like an oil slick; it takes a couple of minutes to sink in. As with all moisturizers, it works best if you put it on within a few minutes of stepping out of the shower. Remember kiddies, it takes approximately a month for complete skin cell turnover so don't expect anything to show amazing results after just a week or two. Patience is a virtue.

Gratuitous Video of the [insert length of time here]
Handwashing Edition!


No comments: